RTDR Resort

Uttarayan Complex:

It is situated to the north of Santiniketan Ashram. This complex has immense historical significance as Rabindranath spent second part of his life here. He and his family members started living in Uttarayan from 1919..Konarak was the first brick house at Uttarayan and thereafter Udayan, Shyamali, Punashcha & Udichi were built one after another as per the plans of  Rathindranath (his son), Surendra Nath Kar & Nandalal Bose.

 

Visiting Hours: 10am-1pm & 2.00pm- 4.30pm(Thursday to Monday)(Wednesday & Thursday closed)
Entry Fee : General Public- Rs.40.00, Students- Rs.10.00

Konarak:

Situated in the north-west corner of Uttarayan complex, this house was built by Rabindranath between 1919 & 1922 for residence of his son Rathindranath and daughter-in-law Pratima Devi.

Udayan:

This house was built between 1922 & 1925, planned and developed by Rathindranath & Surendranath Kar. The main attraction of the building is the variety of sculptures. Rabindranath lived in this house till leaving for Calcutta for his treatment in 1941.

Shyamali:

It is in the east of Konarak and built entirely by clay & tar. Rabindranath on his 74th birthday in 1935 shifted to Shyamali. The house was developed under the guidance & direction of Nandalal Bose & Ramkinkar Baiz. Famous personalities like Mahatma Gandhi, Lal Bahadur Shastri, Mother Teresa & many others stayed here on different occasions.

Punashcha:

 

Punachcha is situated to the east of Shyamali, which was constructed as per desire of Rabindranath and he shifted to this house in 1936.

Udichi:

 

It is in the south-east of Punashcha & it was inaugurated on the birthday of Rabindranath in 1938. Earlier it was known as ‘Sejuti’ but as the house is situated to the north of Uttarayan, Rabindranath renamed it as Udichi. The rose garden made by Rabindranath still exists outside Udichi.

Chitrabhanu Cave House:

 

It is situated to the south of Uttarayan & the ground floor is known as Cave House (Guhaghar). It was Rathindranath’s office. The first floor is known as Chitrabhanu, which was a studio of Pratima Devi. From outside, the ground floor looks like a Cave & from inside like a cabin of a ship.

Rabindra Bhavan (Bichitra):

 

It is on the left side of main entrance of Uttarayan & it was constructed on the birth centenary of Rabindranath in 1961. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the then Prime Minister of India, inaugurated it. This building houses a Library and a Museum.In the Museum, one will find Tagore’s manuscript, Title Deeds, Letters, Pictures & Paintings, Tagore’s belongings, Prizes & Medallions etc. In north-east of Bichitra Bhavan, Tagore’s own car, Humber is displayed.

Chhatimtala:

 

It is just other side of the main road opposite of Uttarayan & an important landmark of Santiniketan. Rabindranath’s father, Debendranath Tagore during his travel to Raipur took rest & performed meditation (Upasana) at Chhatimtala in 1862. Moved by the peace and tranquillity of this place Debendranath decided to set up Santiniketan Ashram right there.

Santiniketan House:
In 1863, as per direction of Debendranath, a two storied house was constructed on the right side of Chhatimtala which is the oldest of all houses in Santiniketan. In front of this house, a sculpture by Ramkinkar Baiz known as ‘Anirban Sikha’ is positioned. In 2009, Dr. Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of India, inaugurated a museum in this building.

Glass House (Upasana Griha):

 

As per wisdom & planning of Debendranath, this house was established on 23 December, 1891 in front of Santiniketan House. At all important festivals of Santiniketan, Upasana or Prayer is performed here either in the early morning or evening.

Three Hills (Tin Pahar):

 

Situated to the east of Glass House, this is a huge mud accumulation due to digging of a pond for supplying water to the residents of Santiniketan. A big banyan tree is visible in the middle of the mud accumulation.

Taladhwaj:

 

It is situated to the east of Upasana Griha (Glass House). Taladhwaj, a round mud hut with a thatched roof around a Taal tree (toddy palm) was built for Tejeschandra Sen, a tree lover who would even shared his lodging here.

Aamro Kunjo (Mango Grove or Garden):

Between Glass House & Salbithi, open air classes are held under lush green garden full of Mango trees. Annual convocation and certain other festivals are also held here.

Natun Bari (New House):

At the east end of Salbithi, a straw roofed house was established in 1902 where at present Alapani Mahila Samity (Ladies Society) is functioning. This house was constructed as dwelling house for Rabindranath but due to sudden death of Mrinalini Devi, wife of Rabindranath, the poet didn’t move there.

Deholi:

 

A two storied house was built in the east of Natun Bari (New House) in 1904 where “Mrinalini Ananda Pathsala” (school) is operating now. Rabindranath stayed here with family in the first floor from 1905 to 1918.

Salbithi:

A red morum road up to Chaiti passing through Deholi & Madhabibithan Arch (Toran) is known as Salbithi. The name was given by Rabindranath.

Singha Sadan:

To the south of Gour Prangan, this house was constructed in 1927 with the financial help of Lord Satyendra Prasanna Singha and planning of Surendranath Kar. There is a Bell (Ghanta) Room at one end of the roof and a Clock Room at other end of the roof. Students know about the timing of any programme in accordance with the number of times the bell is rung. On 7th August 1940, Oxford University conferred D-Lit title to Tagore in this house.

Vidya Bhavan (old):

 

This two storied building is situated to the south of Singha Sadan and houses Oriya & Sanskrit departments. This was converted from Dept of Advance Studies (1921) to Vidya Bhavan in 1925.

Toron Houses:

 

To the east of Singha Sadan, East Gate house & in West, West Gate house is situated. Now School classes are held here but earlier these were known as student hostel.  

Patha Bhavan (Old Library):
In front of Singha Sadan & north of Gour Prangan, Patha Bhavan is situated where ground floor was constructed by Balendranath Tagore in 1899. In 1901, Rabindranath established Bramacharjya Ashram School here. At that point of time, the first floor roof was covered by straw. Rabindranath named this house as ‘Balvi Kuthir’. In 1925, it was renamed as Patha Bhavan.

Gour Prangan:

 

In between Singha Sadan & Patha Bhavan office buildings, the open ground is known as Gour Prangan. This ground was named in memory of ex-student and Professor Gour Gopal Ghosh. Earlier, Basanta Utsav used to be celebrated here.  

Samindra Sishu Library:

 

East of Patha Bhavan’s office, this library of school is situated. Earlier, a tile sheded house known as ‘Prak Kuthir’ was there.

Ghanta Tala:
In the middle of Salbithi & to the south of Madhabi Toron under a banyan tree in Gour Prangan, Ghantatala is situated. It is developed as per design of Sachistupa.

Hindi Bhavan:

 

In 1938, Hindi Bhavan started functioning in a two-storied house, which was established beside present University Canteen. It was inaugurated by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, Prime Minister of India. Degree and Post-graduate studies in Hindi literature are conducted here. A well-equipped Hindi literature library is also housed here.  

China Bhavan:
To the west of Hindi Bhavan, a double storied house with boundary walls is known as China Bhavan. This was inaugurated by Rabindranath on 14 April, 1937. Research and higher studies in Chinese Language are conducted here.

Mukut Ghar:

 

In 1932, in front of China Bhavan & at north-west corner of Santosh House (Santoshalaya) a thatched roofed tiny house known as Mukut Ghar was built. The name was given as the drama Mukut (Throne) written by Rabindranath was first staged here. Now lady professors are lodged here. The house was destroyed completely by fire in 1980 and thereafter it was rebuilt as per its original design.

Santoshalaya:

 

At the north of Mukut Ghar, a tile shaded house surrounded by iron grill railing is known as Santoshalaya (Named by Tagore in the name of Santosh Chandra Majumder), where at present, a Child Students’ (Girls) hostel of Patha Bhavan is situated. Earlier there was a student’s hostel (Boys).

Benikunja:

 

At the north of Dinantika, a (straw) thatched house is situated where Rathindranath (son of Rabindranath) lived for some time after his marriage & now it is office of Alumni Association of Visva Bharati.

Dinantika (Tea Party):

 

By the side of Benikunja, an octagonal small two storied house is situated where Dinendra Smiriti Tea-Party (Cha Chakra) was organized daily in the evening for the teachers. In 1939, Kamala Devi, wife of Dinendranath, constructed it.

Chaiti:

 

Chaiti was built as per Buddhist culture with the mixture of Clay & Tar and designed by Surendra Nath Kar & Nandalal Bose. New handicrafts made by students are displayed here.

Kola Bhavan:

In 1923 under the guidance of Nandalal Bose, Kala Bhavan was established. In Kala Bhavan complex, many buildings are situated where wall paintings & sculptures of renowned artists like Ramkinkar Baiz, Nandalal Bose, Binod Behari Mukherjee, Somnath Hore are displayed.

Naba Nandan:

 

On 12th December, 1981 Mrs. Indira Gandhi, then Prime Minister of India, inaugurated Naba Nandan, a building under Kala Bhavan. Earlier it was situated at Dwarik where Surendranath Kar, Asit Kumar Halder, Nandalal Basu and many others were the Professors. An exhibition hall, collection department & a library are situated in Naba Nandan.

Saptoparni commonly known as Black House (Kalo Bari):

 

In between Sangeet Bhavan & Kala Bhavan, Saptoparni-Black House (Kalo Bari) is situated where students of Kala Bhavan reside. This Bhavan was built in 1934 as per wish of Tagore & planning of Nandalal Bose, Surendranath Kar and Ramkinkar Baiz.

Sangeet Bhavan:

 

In 1923, under the guidance of Dinendra Nath Thakur and Bhimrao Sastri, Sangeet Bhavan was established. It is situated to the west of Black House (Kalo Bari) where primarily music classes are held for B. Music & M. Music courses.

Drama House (Natya Ghar):

 

In front of Naba Nandan & by the side of Bichitra (Rabindra Bhavan), this big hall is situated where Rabindra Saptaha, Barshamangal, Sharad Utsav etc. are celebrated.

Bangladesh Bhavan:

 

The Bangladesh Bhavan at Santiniketan is an ambitious project launched by Bangladesh Government and the Viswa Bharati. It’s a center where people from all over the world will come to be a part of Tagore’s association with the country, the liberation war of Bangla Desh and Indo-Bangla relations.

Central Library & Administrative Building:

 

These two buildings are situated just opposite to each other on the road leads to Pous Mela ground. Library is allowed to use by students and teachers only.

Dwija Biram:

 

This house was built in 1905 and the eldest brother of Rabindranath, Dwijandralal Tagore used to stay here. It is situated on the road opposite to State Bank of India, Santiniketan Branch. Recently, it has been renovated thoroughly. 

Nippon Bhavan:

 

Foundation stone of this building was laid on 16.09.1991 & the building was inaugurated by Mr. K. R. Narayanan, President of India on 03.02.1994. This house is utilised to teach Japanese language & literature. It’s situated at the end of Purba Palli & opposite to New Vidya Bhavan after Mela (fair) ground.

Ratan Kuthi:

 

It was constructed in memory of Ratanji Tata in 1923, which is still utilised as Guest House. It’s located to the north of present Viswa Bharati Co-operative Society and at the north-east corner of old Paus Mela ground.

Pratichi:

 

House of Amartya Sen, Nobel Laureate in Economics and an ex-student of Viswa Bharati, is also situated near to Uttarayan compound on the way to Deer Park.

Deer Park & Bird Sanctuary:

Black Buck, Spotted Deer, Jackals, Foxes and variety of water birds are found there.

Anandadhara:

 

House of Famious Rabindra Sangeet singer Smt. Kanika Banerjee (popularly known as ‘Mohor’), who learned Rabindra Sangeet from Tagore, Santideb Ghosh and Santosh Sengupta, is situated in Andrews Palli (45 quarters).

Niharika Art Gallery:

It’s housed at Guru Palli, where Paintings of Renowned artist Mr.Munsi is displayed and all art lovers’ flock to see this unique and attractive art gallery.

Khoai:

 

Situated along the canal after Shyambati, this is a valley of un-even red soil and beautiful trees (Sonajhuri).

Sonajhuri Hat (Mela/Fair):

All Local Artisans display and sell their products in Hut (Mela) at Khoai on almost all days, where Baul Music and Adibasi Dance can be seen and tasty foods also available or sold.

Kopai River:

 

A small but beautiful river, flowing from the northern side of Santiniketan after Khoai and Goalpara & some other villages, is worth visiting during monsoon and winter. Rabindranath in his writing mentioned the natural beauty of Khoai and the river Kopai.

Shyer Bithi at Lahabadh (Prantik):

 

In late 2009, an ecological park surrounded a beautiful lake with seminar hall and restaurant has been made open for public. The garden is splendid and tourist may hire boats to move around the lake. At present it is open from 10am to but in the long run, it would be operational throughout the day. It’s really worthwhile to visit the spot. It’s about 500 metres from Rater Tara Diner Rabi Guest House

Sriniketan:

 

In 1922, Sriniketan was established as a rural development centre. An agricultural College, School, Handicraft training centres etc are there. It is 2.5 km away from Santiniketan.

Shilpa Gram:

 

After Andrews Pally on the way to Sriniketan, a beautiful project has been developed by EZCC (Eastern Zonal Cultural Centre), where handicraft items are displayed for sale by different government of Eastern & North-eastern States. In 2009 March, it was opened for public by the Governor of West Bengal Sri Gopal Krishna Gandhi.

Aamar Kutir:

It is an attractive and well organised handicraft shop, situated at Ballavpur within Sal and other Trees and very near to Khoai. A beautiful Tagore’s statue (sculpture) made by Ramkinkar Baiz can be seen at the entrance of the shop. This society was formed by Pannalal Das Gupta during freedom movement of India.

Santhal Villages: 

 

Many such villages are situated in different locations of Santiniketan and their cultural programmes can be seen or organised after contacting them well in advance.

Lakshmi Shayer (Lake):

 

About 10km away from Santiniketan on the way to Ilambazar, it is a beautiful Lake surrounded by red clay hillock and is worth viewing. It is a nice picnic spot during winter.